Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Meatball Soup

This is a Mexican meatball soup.  I had it growing up and my sister, Shelly, makes the best.  I know I have told you about my Food Network addiction.  Well, I was watching Mexican Made Easy and she made this soup.  I also had a little bit the last time I played Bunco.  It has been so very hot in AZ lately, and today, it was in the 80's.  My daughter told me that on the way to school her hands were cold (we are such desert rats).  This put me in the mood for soup.  I really have no recipe, just dump and boil.  Thank you sis for refreshing my memory (I called her today and got her version).  She also makes one like a chowder -- I will make that one real soon too.


Sorry, I was mid soup making when I remembered my camera.  Before I put my veggies and stock in, I softened a white onion (don't let it brown just soften) for my meatballs.  In the pot is just 4 carrots, 4 potatoes, 1 can green chili, one 15 oz can of diced tomatoes.  I used a carton of chicken stock (that's what I had on hand, you can also use beef).  That wasn't enough so I added four more cups of water and 3 ck bullion cubes.  Got that to boil and turned down to a medium heat.   While that boiled away, I made meatballs.  Mine were very simple -- I used a family pack of ground beef, my softened onion, about 1 (or more) cup of rice, cilantro, salt and pepper.  I just gently mixed it up and made meatballs (I like them a little large).




I also chopped up some zucinni I had in the fridge.



I checked the potatoes and carrots, and when they were almost done, I added the meatballs and zucchini.



This is what I ended up with.  I served with a tortilla.



It was yummy.  One of my sons ate four bowls (I'm not kidding).  That's why I made so many meatballs.




I still have this much soup (large pickle jar - I love jars).  I think there may only be four or five meatballs though  - ha ha.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Comments make my day, thanks.