Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bookcase to Launch Pad/Daycare Zone

I have been doing daycare in my home for almost 20 years -- YIKES.  I have tried several systems to keep myself and the kids organized while trying to get my own kids out the door.   That is not always the easiest task and I am a little challenged in that area.  Before this, I used white stackable potato bins like the one in my pantry here (just scroll down to see the white one).  This is my latest and I do think my greatest so far.









This is it.  I like the way it fits on that wall, and it is next to the laundry room so washing blankets is easy.



I used to have this ugly bookcase in my den (go here, the pics are a little dark sorry).  I actually have two and the second one will be re-done too.  




Yikes --   What a mess.  I was trying it out before I painted it.




I took each piece outside and painted it a Colonial Red.



The top part of the bookcase I attached a coat rack and now I am hanging coats, bags and even my little Moo Moo's leash.  My two school kids put their backpacks here and books to return to the library.




The Middle shelves hold misc. stuff.  I love my boxes, they were only a dollar at my favorite, Dollar Store.




I used baggage tags that I got at Wal Mart and I love the tags from the Martha Stewart Line at Staples.  They hold my wipes/A&D ointment, lost and found, and bibs.



I love my hardware holding my labels (I got them at Hobby Lobby).  The plastic in-box is used for my kids papers to be signed and returned.




The black and white box is used for the daycare kids work.




I covered the box with some black and white shelf paper -- I think it is cute and my favorite cheap.  The paper was from the Dollar Store.




The bottom, I put shoes and all the blankets for nap time.




The section to the left of the bookcase, holds all the kids boxes and personal belongings.



I used the same clear baggage tags and attached them with those zip cord thingies.  I know that is the technical name right?





On the opposite side is my little shelf unit that I turned upside down to hold my nap mats.  I also have a couple of part-time kids and that is where I keep their box.




This little antique telephone bench sits on the opposite side of my laundry door.  I am trying to convince my husband to let me paint it red to match.  




My kids put a little big dink it -- made me so sad : (
Does anyone know how to repair it??????  I would appreciate your help.

I also found a cool thing to hang above the bench after it is painted to change the whole look.

Well, that is my little transformation, thank you so much for stopping by and taking a look.

Rhonda



32 comments:

  1. What a great job so pretty & neat. My Mom had a day care for 25 years so I know how hard it is to keep things neat. On your gossip bench is that hole all the way through? If so you will need to replace the whole panel. If it is just a piece of veneer and there is wood behind it you can fill with wood filler, sand, and paint. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great transformation! Love the red, and all the organisation. All the organsied boxes make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color that you painted this is very nice. I think it looks good in it's new space and has a great function now! Stopping by via Blue Cricket Design- hope to see you around www.bearrabbitbear.com soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super neat and organized!

    Love for you to share it at my Linky Party :) -
    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/03/made-by-me-22-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when everything is organized, great ideas with the kiddos boxes. Love the colors!
    I found you on the Its so Cheri blog hop and am now following you and would love a follow back:)

    My Turn (for us)

    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever! I love it and I especially love the color! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great organization project!

    Love to invite you to share this on Thingamajig Thursday going on now... http://radcrafter.com/2012/03/thingamajig-thursday-17/


    Alida

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so pretty and such a great way to keep everything organized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty and organized! And yes, that telephone bench would look great in red too ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect drop zone! The color is so bright and cheerful- This project would be perfect for our linky party featuring "Transformations" called Repurpose-Remodel-Reveal, I know our readers would love to see it too! (It starts tomorrow- Friday, March 16th 2012 at 7:00 am and reoccures every 1st and 3rd Friday)

    -Whitney @ TheRoosterAndTheHen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the launchpad, great idea! I'm a new follower and would love to have you stop by my brand new blog and follow, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! Love how you organized everything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So organised and the red really brightens up the space. I think the phone stand would look great in red and enable you to fix that ding too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a GREAT job! Love the color and functionality of this! Very organized & creative! I would LOVE if you would share this on my Fabulous Fridays Linky Party here: http://www.artistic31mama.com/2012/03/fabulous-fridays-3-linky-party-031612.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great DIY makeover!! I love the colors!!
    I would love for you to share this at my "Unveil Your Genius" Link Party!
    http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/03/unveil-your-genius-link-party_15.html

    Happy Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautifully organized. I love the bold color and all the clever touches!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome job! Love the red and how organized you are!! Thanks for linking up at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving this bookcase! Thanks for coming to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great transformation! As for the gossip bench and the gaping hole, you could just leave it and maybe cover the whole thing with wallpaper or a map (google this for some great ideas) and just reinforce the inside so that nothing will poke through. Once it's covered, no one will ever know the hole is there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day, thanks.