Monday, April 9, 2012

Black Beans and Rice

I am hopeful that everyone had a great Easter (Resurrection Day).  It was a very busy weekend for us.  Last week, I stuck to my menu -- YEAH.....   Here is the Black beans and rice recipe that we had.  This a real saver.  I always have the ingredients and my family really does like it.  I also added the very little that I had left over and added it to my chicken in the crock pot for tacos. 


3 T. Olive Oil
1 Med. white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 t. coarse salt
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. dried oregano
2 (15.5-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
3 cups cooked white rice
1 avocado, chopped
1 lime, cut into wedges

(These ingredients are for four, I tweak for my family)




I use at least four cans of black beans - ha ha.  The first time I made it, I only used two.  It was more like a side dish.



I sauteed half the onion and the garlic and spices in a little bit of oil.  The cumin smells so good and makes this taste so good.



Added my rinsed and drained beans.  I also added a little water.  Just put enough to make it as soupy as you like.



While that is heating through, I put the remaining half an onion, diced avocado, and sliced lime in a bowl.




To serve, put a little cooked long grain rice in the bottom of a bowl.




  Put your beans on top and add the raw onion, avocado and a squeeze of lime on top.  It really is good.  It fills up all of my carnivores.




Try it, it is good for you and your heart.

Rhonda


3 comments:

Comments make my day, thanks.