Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chicken and Rice Casserole

Hi everyone.  After Thanksgiving, I cubed some turkey and put it into a couple of freezer bags for use during the Christmas season.  The other night, I didn't want to grab anything out, but, didn't have much time to get dinner on the table.  I checked my pantry and made this casserole with just some staples that I always have on hand.





Here is the cubed turkey breast thawed, a can of sliced chestnuts, a box of the family size chicken flavor Rice-a-Roni, frozen green beans, a can of mushroom soup (cream of chicken would work), 1 cup of mayo, a cup of  shredded cheese (I used mild cheddar) and some seasoning like garlic or even curry powder and mixed it together in the little mixing bowl.



Cook the Rice-a-Roni as directed and place in the bottom of your 9 x 13 pan.



Put your thawed frozen green beans (broccoli would be really good),


chestnuts and then turkey (any leftover poultry would work, even a rotisserie chicken).



Spread the creamed mixture on that and bake for about 30 min at 350 degrees.



Take the casserole out and sprinkle about a cup of bread crumbs mixed with a couple of tablespoons of melted butter.  Put it back in the oven for 5 more min.




Let it rest for a little bit and there you go.  My kids loved it and are already asking for it again.  I hope your family likes it too.

2 comments:

Comments make my day, thanks.