Monday, August 20, 2012

Fish Tacos and This Week's Chicken Feed

Happy Monday All.  I hope you had a great weekend.  We celebrated Grandpa's 86th birthday.  He is doing better and is now home with a little help for him and Grandma.  Anyway, I have been really busy -- sometimes I think I am just busy to be busy!?  Here is this week's plan, let's see if I can stick to it.


Monday:       Pork Chops, Smashed potatoes, mixed veg.
Tuesday:      Chicken Casserole (Prairie Woman), Salad with apple and blue
                  cheese
Wednesday:  Salmon Patty Sandwiches, Pineapple Coleslaw
Thursday:     Crock Pot Meatloaf, Veg
Friday:         Stromboli, Salad Italian style



My fish tacos are a fast fix and my kids love them.  I just use frozen fish sticks, but, you could use any fish you would like.  I have even made it with fresh Salmon. 



I started by putting fish sticks in the oven, following the box instructions.



While they are in the oven, I soften corn tortillas in a dry skillet (I love cast iron for this).
I put them in a clean tea towel to keep them warm and pliable.




For the first topping, I put a bag of coleslaw in a bowl.  I squeeze about a 1/2 of a fresh lime, chopped cilantro, a couple three green onions (white and green parts) and about 1 T. of olive oil and mix.  Oh, and a little salt and pepper to taste.



The second topping is a mango cut into cubes, 1/2 of a red onion, fresh cilantro, lime and a little olive oil.  Mix and add a little salt to bring out the sweet in the mango.



The third is a quick topping or side dish.  Drain and rinse a can of black beans.  In a bowl, add the beans, green onion, a drained can of white shoe peg corn, you could add a tomato, although, my kids are not big fans of tomatoes so I don't add them in, fresh cilantro, lime and olive oil.  Mix with a little salt and pepper.  It doesn't take much time to do all three sides, I am done before the fish is out of the oven.



When the fish is done, put a couple pieces on your tortilla,



Then the toppings you like.  I like the coleslaw and mango on top,



Black bean salad on the side with a grape tomato.

This has no mayo, or cheese.  I think it is pretty healthful and my kids will ask for it when I don't make it for a while

Enjoy!

Rhonda


3 comments:

  1. Your menu looks great, as do the fish tacos! We love meatloaf, but I've never tried cooking it in the crock pot...I will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound yummy! We had fish tacos this week, too. We used baked tilapia, black beans, and corn. Hubs is allergic to mango. :( My youngest loves fish sticks - maybe she'd eat fish tacos like yours. I'll have to try it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day, thanks.