Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Matching Egg Topiary

Happy Hump Day everyone.  I really didn't want spring break end, but, all good things always come to an end.  I am so crazy busy this year.  My house, my blog and my crafting life are becoming more and more difficult to stay on top of.  I don't have any more children than I normally do.  I just have two VERY busy toddlers.  I really believe they think no means go.  They are into everything and they go two separate ways doing two separate naughty activities at the same time.  So please, hang in there with me and things will get better soon.  I really wanted to thank everyone for their sweet comments regarding my updated Easter egg wreath.  I have replied to some, and, I will reply to my remaining comments hopefully tonight.  I want to apologize for not letting you know what paint and technique I used to get the end results. 




So when I was looking through my box of Easter decorations, I came across my topiary from last year and decided to make one to match my new wreath.    



This is my favorite white paint.  Rust-oleum heirloom white satin paint.  I use this on everything.  I even used it on my Halloween bottles.



I just started to paint.  I try and cover as much as I can, then let it dry.



Don't get discouraged when you see the colored eggs peeking through.  It honestly takes about four times to get it covered evenly.  I don't know if you can see the green peeking through?!



I just keep going outside to give it coat whenever I think of it.  I honestly did this for an entire day -- you can still see orange in the holes - ha ha.



Next, I get out my favorite stain.  Minwax Early American.  I like to dirty things up (since I am a dirty girl - ha ha).



I put a little stain on an old rag and just wipe it on.



Then, with the clean end of the rag, I lightly wipe it off and clean up some of the hard lines left behind.



Don't worry when you see the big glops of glue that look like dripping boogers - gross.



Because that is where I stick my Spanish moss.



It hides big holes, glue boogers, and small imperfections really well.




I am still very happy with the end results.  It looks a little vintagey.

I hope this helps, and, please let me know how yours turns out if you choose to try one.

Have a great Wednesday.  It's all down hill to Friday from here.

xoxo


Please check out my party page.  They are ALL wonderful parties with a wide variety of talent and awesome hosts.


26 comments:

  1. It is a great craft idea...thanks for the share. Happy Spring... things will fall into place soon, hang in there! Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda, saw your egg topiary at I Gotta Create and it's so cute! I am totally into topiaries this month and just love this. Thanks for sharing and have a great week! ~Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great Easter project! But on the other hand this could easily be kitchen decor. I love it. Thanks for linking it up at Show It Off Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda -
    Thanks for the tip! I tried painting these eggs last week and they aren't covering; guess I need another coat or two!
    I'm visiting from Wildly Creative. I hope you can stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lovely, I'm your newest follower from Linky follower Party. Followed you via Linky Follower.
    Love your Awesome & adorable blog.

    Feel free to drop by, follow and comment @ www.revampspunkyrena.com

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a super idea and I love it! It would be perfect to link up at my "Easter" Linky Party. Hope you will visit and link up!


    Tara
    www.craftindesertdivas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look! It does look just vintagey enough! :o)
    Glad to meet you and so happy to follow you back.
    Have a great rest of the week!
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up at Craftin Desert Divas "Easter" Linky Party. Hope to see you link up again.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great way to use those plastic eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love rustolium. My current obsession is Satin Lagoon. I love this. It's gorgeous! I am not one for a lot of bold Easter decorations so something like this would be perfect.
    Came across your link on Happy-Go-Lucky blog party and a new follower.

    Justina @ http://justinawho.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea!
    Thanks for linking up at the friday chaos hop

    Have a great weekend
    Kerry www.ohsoamelia.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool craft idea. My wife and sister would both love this

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute idea! love the topiary. I'm pinning. Little Bit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! I was shocked to discover those were plastic eggs!
    With the Spanish moss you really can't tell!
    Very fun craft!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad I found your blog through Aloha Friday. I love all your creations. New follower here, I follow with GFC, bloglovin and I have added you to my Google+ circles. I think I will not miss any of your post!
    I give you the link to my blog, I hope you will visit me, if you like my creations I invite you to follow me.
    Marisa from
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look so classic and pretty! We'd love for you to share this at our party! http://www.housewivesofriverton.com/2013/03/riverton-housewives-round-up-57.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are super-cute! Now I have to run out and buy some plastic eggs... Thanks for sharing!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the white. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rhonda! I love the egg wreath! That so cool. Right now you can get those eggs for like 97 cents at walmart. This would be such a cheap, yet creative craft!

    Thanks for sharing it, and I'm stopping by from the weekend blog post showcase! Have a great week, sorry spring break is over.


    Heather from Mommy Only Has 2 Hands

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are beautiful. I love them. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Have a great week.
    Debi, Charly, Marci, and Suzan
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute!

    Thanks so much for linking up with Inspired Weekends! Please stop by Horrific Knits on Friday for the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job!

    Perhaps you'd care to link to SEASONAL SUNDAYS next week. The link goes up at 7 pm on Saturday evening.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I LOVE this!! What a great way to upgrade plastic eggs. I wouldn't have guessed that they were the colorful eggs we hide for the kids. Great Job! Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea, just discovered your blog. Going to make it in the spring to hang outside my chicken coop!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day, thanks.