Monday, January 16, 2012

Enchiladas and the week's Chicken Feed

Monday January 16, - Sunday January 22, 2012

Monday - Fish, Rice and California Blend Veggie
Tuesday - Taco Soup and Salad
Wednesday - Pork Chops with Mango Chutney and Cold Scallion Noodles
Thursday - White Beans and Greens
Friday - Up-side Down Pizza and Salad
Saturday - BBQ (Dad's Choice)
Sunday - Spaghetti and Salad





Here was my Enchilada Dinner on Saturday:

I really don't have a recipe, I just wing it and hope they come out (ha ha).  This is how mom used to do it.



Start with a chuck roast cut into pieces (pic. below), cheese, I like Baca's frozen red chili, and corn tortillas.





I salt the meat and little and brown the beef for a min. or two.



Add water to cover and let cook all the way down and do it again.  This makes it real tender.



I let it brown a little more after the water has evaporated. 





I add about three cups of water, salt and the frozen red chili and let it simmer for about 30 min.



Just like making gravy, I put a couple of tablespoons of flour, salt and water and whip with a fork so that there are no lumps in my sauce.



Add it to the chili in the pot and let it thicken.  Sauce is done.



Put oil in pan and get med. hot.



I use these tongs from Pampered Chef to just run the tortillas through the oil to soften.
Some people run them through the sauce, my mom did it this way - ha ha.





When they are all softened, you are ready to assemble your enchiladas.




Put sauce in the bottom of the pan just like lasagna.



Put cheese in the softened corn tortilla 



Roll



Keep rolling until all the tortillas are used up.




Pour remaining sauce over the rolled enchiladas



and add cheese to the top.  Cover a bake at 350 for about 30 min.




While my sauce was cooking, I made some Pico.



Cut up tomato, onion, a yellow pepper and two jalapenos and mix up.



Chop and add cilantro and the juice of one lime salt to taste and your done.



While the enchiladas are in the oven, make some rice.





I like to use the oil I used for the tortillas for a little extra flavor and get hot.



Add rice (I just used instant white rice) and brown.  I like mine on the darker side.



Add a large can of tomato sauce and chicken broth to cover the rice by about 1/4 inch 



Cover and cook for about 20 min.  Done.




That is it and it is yummy.  Enjoy

Rhonda


1 comment:

Comments make my day, thanks.