Monday, February 6, 2012

Beef and Spinach Pitas and This Week's Chicken Feed

Confession time, I didn't stick to my menu last week at all.  My father-in-law is in the hospital, and has been for about three weeks now.  He had a rough week, so, with all the kids activities and hospital visits, we just ate a little crazy.   He is elderly and broke his hip and is having complications.  His wife is Pat and she is having a hard time with her memory and being away from home.  She is staying with her daughter by night and with me (and my daycare) by day.  I am telling you this hoping you will keep them in your prayers.  Thank you.


Now, on to the menu (you will see a lot of the same entrees as last week, because I purchased all of the ingredients).  This week's (February 6 - 12) menu is:.


                            Monday:        Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta, Salad
                            Tuesday:       Chicken Taco's (crock pot), Red Rice
                       Wednesday:        Fish and Lentil Pilaf, Vegetable
                           Thursday:        Leftovers
                               Friday:        Pizza
                           Saturday:        Dad's Choice - BBQ
                             Sunday:        Spaghetti, Garlic Bread, Salad


I didn't take any pictures last week, so, this is the Beef and Spinach Pitas from a previous menu.  It is so simple, fast,  even healthful, and my kids just LOVE it.


I used about 2 lbs of ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 8oz pkg. mushrooms, sliced (I used portabella)
1 bag of spinach
thyme about 1/2 t.
Salt and Pepper
6 pitas, cut in half
1 tomato, chopped
low-fat sour cream




Cook beef and onion over med.-high heat till browned.  Drain (I even rinse the  beef with water to get the fat off) and blot with paper towels.  Add garlic, mushrooms, spinach and thyme.




While the beef mixture cooks, cut tomato and slice pita.




Cook for about 3 min. more until spinach wilts.
Salt and pepper to taste.




Add beef mixture to pitas and garnish with sour cream and tomato.

Enjoy!







3 comments:

Comments make my day, thanks.