Monday, July 2, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

It has been awhile since I've posted a recipe and menu plan for the week -- my bad.  I am showing you my chicken enchilada casserole.  Can you tell we love Mexican food??  This is a recipe we used to call Gringo Enchiladas, you'll see.




It is very yummy.




I started out by boiling three large chicken breast (right from the freezer) in a little salted water.  I don't boil too long or it dries out because you have to put it in oven too.




I like pablano peppers.  You can always use canned chopped green chili too.  My sister puts jalepenos in hers.  Any way I like to toast fresh ones in a dry skillet.




Roast them untill they are black and blistered well.




Put them right into a plastic bag and leave for about 15 to 30 min.




While waiting for my chilis to steam, I toast my corn tortillias in a dry skillet.




I like them to turn a little black and blister up too.




See how the steam from the bag loosens the skin???




I just put it in a paper towel and rub the skin right off.  It makes it soo easy when you do it this way.  The charred black part comes right off but leaves a wonderful flavor.




I scrape all seeds off and dice up.




Shred chicken and add to a bowl with the diced pepper.






I add a can of each, cream of celery, mushroom and chicken (the gringo part) soup and a can of Rotel tomatoes (I am the store brand queen).




This is the best salsa in the world if you don't want to make your own.  You can also omit the Rotel and add this instead, yum.








Mix it up with a large hand full (or two) of cheese.



I like colby jack.




layer your tortillas, you can see I used six.




Add half of the soup mixture and some more cheese.




Start again.  Here is where it gets tricky.  I didn't have enough corn tortillas so I used, 




tortilla chips instead.  It works well and you can't tell the difference in taste.




Spread the rest of the soup mixture,






add some cheese,




and bake in 350 oven for about 30 min.




I love a salad with just lettuce, radishes. and vinegar and oil.  This combination is great with all Mexican food.




There you have it -- it really is yummy.


Remember, you can let me know if you would like me to feature a recipe from this week's chicken feed:

Monday - Spaghetti, salad
Tuesday - Chicken Club with Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
Wednesday - Hamburger, Hot Dogs, Tortellini Salad
Thursday - Chicken, noodles with Philadelphia Cream Cheese
Friday - Homemade Pizza
Saturday - BBQ Dad's Choice
Sunday - Ham Steaks, Potato Salad

Enjoy!

Rhonda


3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I love Herdez salsa and I use their salsa for my enchiladas and everything else.

    I'm now following you from the Aloha Friday Blog Hop and if you can, would love a follow back. Thanks and have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day, thanks.